A Bit About The Barn
Built between 1360 and 1370, the historical Tythe Barn still retains the majority of its 22 foot original beams. The roof was first thatched with reeds from the nearby Otmoor water plains and has only recently required re-thatching. The wonderful stone walls are an amazing 4.5 foot thick in parts. Historically the Tythe Barn would have stored all the produce provided by the local people and a percentage of this would have been passed on to the landlord as a form of rent- hence the name Tythe.